Financial Aid for Degree Completion Students 

Grants and loans, designed to help you pay for college, are available through a variety of federal and state programs.The key is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The fastest way to apply is to complete the FAFSA online.

The FAFSA aids in determining your eligibility for Federal Pell Grants (up to $4,310 per year), Ohio Choice Grants (up to $660 per year), Ohio Instructional Grant (up to $5466 per year) and for student loans ($3,500 to $10,500 depending on your grade level and FAFSA filing status). As long as you enroll for at least 6 or more credit hours, you are guaranteed to qualify for some form of assistance just by completing the FAFSA. The aid you receive can pay for tuition, fees, books, and even transportation, food, care-giving, etc. Cost should not be a barrier to your education.


Scholarships are monies awarded by an organization, that you don't have to pay back. 

  • Capital University does not offer institutional scholarships to CLL students. Instead, the per-credit tuition rate for CLL students is far less than that of our traditional undergraduate program.
  • Outside Sources
  • Scholarship information often is available in your local public library.
  • You can do a scholarship search on the Internet: or 


Grants are state or federal monies you don't have to pay back. 

  • Federal Pell Grant -- need-based grant ranging up to $4,310
  • Ohio Instructional Grant (OIG) -- need-based grant awarded first to full-time students; ranges from $444 - $5466; limited funds may be available for part-time students.
  • Ohio Student Choice Grant --Awarded to Ohio residents pursuing their first bachelor's degree and enrolled as full-time students. Residency must be established one year prior to the term that the grant is being requested. Renewal of this award is based upon continuance by the Ohio Board of Regents.


Loans are borrowed money that you must repay with interest. 

  • Federal Stafford Loan
  • $3,500 for freshmen
  • $4,500 for sophomores
  • $5,500 for juniors or seniors

Additional loans from $4,000-$5,000 may be made to most students if additional borrowing is needed. To be eligible, a student must be an independent for FAFSA filing purposes. 

Financial Aid Forms for Adult Students  

Helpful Web Sites 

  • Capital University's Financial Aid Home Page 
  • This web site for Capital's Financial Aid Office may help answer additional questions you have about receiving aid at Capital University.
  • Federal Student Aid PIN Registration: When you request a PIN it becomes your electronic signature for FAFSA and Renewal FAFSA on the Web. Use the PIN to    access your student aid history online. Use it to correct your Student Aid Report online.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid: Fill out and transmit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA on the Web is fast, easy and more accurate than paper. You must have a PIN to file online.
  • Federal Student Aid Home Page: Find everything you need to know about student aid. Publications available are The Student Guide or Funding Your Education. Other information available: federal school codes, student loan interest rates, loan cancellation for teachers, or what to do if your loan's in trouble.
  • FinAid - The SmartStudent Guide: You can get estimates for federal aid for your family contribution and Pell Grants by using the forms on this page.
  • Ohio Board of Regents: 


The state of Ohio has a simple online tool to get OIG estimates for awards for all types of schools. Remember, this is an estimate. Awards are only available to eligible full-time students.

If you have questions about financial aid call 1-866-544-6175 and ask for financial aid or call the Financial Aid Office directly at 614-236-6511. You can also write to:

Financial Aid Office
1 College and Main
Capital University
Columbus, OH 43209-2394
Or email: