Capital University To Present an Evening with Dennis Lehane
OMEA Honors Capital University's Jim Swearingen for Distinguished Service
23rd annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Learning January 20
Nursing Students Take Top Honors at Statewide Competition
see more news & events
During 1991 and 1992, the Capital University Conservatory of Music underwent a $6.4 million renovation, providing a state-of-the-art environment for the study of music by Conservatory and College Conservatory Preparatory Department students, as well as outstanding performance facilities for Central Ohio. The renovation included the construction of a building connecting Leonard Hall with Mees and Bexley halls, and the expansion of rehearsal space, classroom space and faculty studios, as well as expansion of the stage, wings, orchestra pit and lobby in Mees Hall. The acoustical character of Mees Auditorium and the Huntington Recital Hall was improved, and The Jeffrey Courtyard, an outdoor performance area, was constructed. The Conservatory’s on-campus equipment includes a full complement of instruments and computers, an electronic music studio, an electronic piano/computer room, a music education curriculum laboratory and several rooms with practice pipe organs. In fall 2005, the Paul W. and Ella D. Hugus Memorial Pipe organ was dedicated in Mees Hall. The three-manual, 70-rank organ boasts more than 4,000 pipes and was designed and constructed especially for the hall and the requirements of a pipe organ within an academic environment.
The keyboard classroom is used to teach students how to play both jazz and classical keyboard techniques.
The ERS is the Conservatory's primary technology space and is used to teach electronic music and recording classes:
The Snyder rehearsal room is also used to deliver vocal methods, conducting and other classes. It is also the rehearsal room for the Chapel Choir.
The Crist Rehearsal Room is also used to for instrumental methods, conducting and other classes.
Huntington Hall is a 180-seat recital hall; and the Conservatory's primary performing hall, This is where most student, faculty and guest recitals are presented each year.
Mees Auditorium is one of Columbus' historic performance halls. The auditorium was constructed in 1926 and was fully renovated in 1992. In fall 2005 the Paul W. and Ella D. Hugus Pipe Organ was installed. The Mees Auditorium is Capital's largest performance and gathering space hosting the Christmas Festival, Prism, Big Band performances and student and faculty assemblies, such as Opening Convocation. The auditorium is named for Rev. Dr. Otto Mees who became president in 1912 and served that office for nearly 34 years.
Conservatory students have access to thirty practice rooms of varying sizes. These rooms are located on the lower level of Bexley Hall in the Conservatory complex. Students and faculty often use other rooms as they are available:
Capital University is a private four-year undergraduate institution and graduate school located in the Columbus, Ohio, neighborhood of Bexley. Copyright © 2014 Capital University