• res
Special Accommodations
  • Special Housing Accommodation Request Process

    Capital University welcomes students with disabili­ties to be an integral part of the educational commu­nity. Our mission is to coordinate accommodations for qualified students with disabilities to ensure equal educational opportunities and equal access to university life. Congruent with the provisions of the Americans with Dis­abilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Capital is dedicated to implementing appropriate housing accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. Students requesting housing accommodations are required to register with the Disability Services Office. The Disability Services Office collaborates with students and the Office of Residence Life and Housing to determine the need for special housing accommodations. Students requesting special housing accommodations should follow the proceeding steps:

    1. Complete a Housing Application with the Office of Residence Life and Housing and disclose the need for housing accommodations on the application;
    2. Complete the Special Housing Accommodation Request Form;
    3. Submit a Certificate of Professional Authority completed by a qualified evaluator, which must be accompanied by pertinent records; and
    4. Arrange a meeting with the Coordinator for Disability Services to discuss special housing accommodation requests.

    Housing accommodations are determined are on a case-by-case basis and assigned based on medical need. Documentation must clearly demonstrate a connection between the condition and requested accommodation. Consistent with the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), guidelines for disability documentation include: qualification of the evaluator; recency of the documentation; appropriate clinical documentation; and evidence to establish a rationale for accommodations.

    Requests for Special Housing Accommodations and supporting disability documentation must be submitted to the Disability Services Office by July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester for new and returning students. Please note that currently enrolled students/returning students are required to submit a Special Housing Accommodation Request form for each academic year housing accommodations are requested. All students must also complete the Housing Application with the Office of Residence Life and Housing and disclose the need for accommodation on the Housing Application. Students will be notified in writing from the Office of Residence Life and Housing regarding their requests and room assignments.

    Please print, complete and submit the forms below along with supporting documentation to:

    Jennifer Speakman, Ph.D., CRC
    Disability Services Director
    Capital University/Capital University Law School
    Student Affairs
    614.236.6611 (voice)
    614.236.6971 (fax)


    Questions regarding Special Housing Accommodations should be directed to Jennifer Speakman, Disability Services Director. She can be reached at 614-236-6111 or